Ken McMaster, PGA
General Manager at Miromar Lakes Golf Club has been named the 2018 Golf Professional of the Year. This award is the highest honor a PGA Professional can receive, as they are recognized for overall performance, level of service to the Association, leadership, image and the ability to inspire fellow professionals and promote the game of golf.
“First, it’s an incredible honor to be identified by your peers as a professional worthy of such an award. Additionally, it means increased responsibility to uphold the traditions of our game and to be a positive role model for others. As I consider the names of the professionals who have won this award before me and those who will win it after me, it is very humbling and somewhat overwhelming,” says McMaster.
McMaster has shown his commitment to upholding the values of the PGA of America and mentoring younger members and associates throughout his career. He is committed to building relationships and helping other PGA Professionals grow and learn from his experiences. McMasters approach to mentorship is to “serve others and help them achieve their goals.” Ultimately his overall goal is to teach those he mentors so that one day they will be able to mentor others themselves. McMaster currently serves as the Section Membership Outreach Chairperson and is a Master Professional. He won Bill Strausbaugh Award in 2017.
“Becoming a positive influence on other people’s lives through mentoring is critical to me. Such opportunities are plentiful in our industry and it is incredibly rewarding,” says McMaster. While at Miromar Lakes, he has mentored numerous FGCU students, including his current Head Golf Professional, Kyle Mills. McMaster hired Mills when he was a freshman at FGCU and has mentored him to become the PGA Professional he is today. In addition to Mills, Ken works closely with the rest of his staff to help them obtain their professional goals and develop them as golf professionals.
McMaster in addition to the other 2018 Award Recipients and two Hall of Fame Inductees, Warren Bottke, PGA and Brendan Cunningham will be recognized at the South Florida PGA Annual Awards and Hall of Fame Dinner supported by Discover Global Network on November 13th
at Parkland Golf and Country Club.
This year’s award recipients include:
- Teacher of the Year - Bill Scott, Don Law at Osprey Pointe
- Horton Smith – Judy Alvarez, Monarch Country Club
- Bill Strausbaugh – Dan Gawronski, Pelican’s Nest Golf Club
- Player Development – Susan Vail, Abacoa Golf Club
- Youth Player Development – Neil Lockie, Jonathan’s Landing Golf Club
- Deacon Palmer – James Muir, Pointe West Country Club
- Assistant Golf Professional of the Year – Rick Sutton, Broken Sound Club- Old Course
- Merchandiser Private – Morgan Jewell, Floridian National Golf Club
- Merchandiser Public – John Miller, Greynolds Park Golf Course
- Merchandiser Resort – Jeff Willenberg, Dorado Beach Resort and Club
- Salesperson of the Year – Scott VanDame, FootJoy
- Player of the Year – Andrew Filbert, Royal Poinciana Golf Club
- Hall of Fame Inductees- Warren Bottke and Brendan Cunningham